Sunday, January 24, 2016

Applesauce-Spice Cake


I used to frequently visit a Japanese temple to pick antiques and on one of my trips fond a 25 years old Country Dessert Book by Lee Bailey.  Ever since this has been my favorite cook book. It has helped me put together some of the best desserts at numerous parties.

Today I am going to share my all time favorite recipe - its my version of Lee Bailey's Applesauce-spice recipe.  This cake brings joy and smiles even before its lovely aroma fills my kitchen. Serve it with freshly brewed coffee and there is magic in the air.

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups fine sugar
2 cups good quality unsweetened applesauce
(I make it from fresh apples and cook until it can still firm and smooth on a plate)
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup raisins
(I like to add more raisins which gives the right acidity to balance)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mace
(I skip this one, but its a personal choice)
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Super fine sugar frosting

I prefer the simple white sugar frosting to save on a few calories and take a generous share of the cake.  You can replace it with a cream cheese or sour cream or brown sugar frosting.


Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a square pan.

Cream the butter and superfine sugr until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Then fold in the applesauce.  This will not mix completely.

Remove 1/4 cup of the flour and use it to dredge the nuts and raisins.  Sift together the remaining flour, spices and baking soda.  Fold the dry mixture into the creamed mixture, then add the vanilla and the nuts and raisins.

Pour batter into the prepared and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Allow cake to cool in the pan, then invert to remove.

This is what I get each time I bake this delicious cake - "Mom your cooking/baking rocks"


No comments:

Post a Comment